Andrew Watson Turnbull; Billericay
'Chantry House' Essex
Sorry! this item has been sold
Product Code: 140413-2
- Related Products
A superb original drypoint etching
A. Watson Turnbull
Chantry House is said to be the meeting place of the Pilgrim Fathers prior to their sailing in the Mayflower, many local names and much historical imagery reflect this. Christopher Martin, the Governor of the famous Mayflower ship, who owned the Chantry House at 59/61 High Street, was the provisioner who supplied the food for the arduous 66-day journey across the Atlantic Ocean. Four people from Billericay were on board, including Christopher Martin. He and his wife Marie, along with Solomon Prowe and John Langemore, perished shortly after their arrival at Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Later other inhabitants of Billericay also sailed for the New World.
The town of Billerica, Massachusetts was established in 1655 by colonists from Billericay and named after their home town in England.
Andrew Watson Turnbull; British, 1874- was a painter, etcher and stained glass artist who exhibited at the Royal Academy.
A fine drypoint etching which has retained its excellent colouring, bright and unfaded, in black ink with fine detail and plate tone, the image size measuring approximately 17 cms. x 25 cms. (7 x 10 ins.) within a fine but evident platemark and impression on a wove paper sheet size of 22 cms. x 32 cms. (9 x 12½ ins.)
Signed and titled in pencil in the lower margin.
Unframed and unmounted the condition of the image and sheet is excellent with a light toning to a previous mat window.